Tuesday 29 May 2012

European Championships - NMP punting diary

Welcome to the NMP blogpage where, for the duration of the European Championships, you can read the ramblings of an armchair football fan trying to make a few quid.

Football betting isn't something I have ever got heavily involved in, as racing has always been my main sport. Whereas I have spent countless hours studying racing form and reading racing books to extend my knowledge of the subject, my research into football bets has been far less extensive - mainly walking into a Coral shop and ticking a few boxes after a ten second glance at the league table printed on the back of the quickslip.

My reason for this has been that I am so actively involved in racing that I have never wanted to get to the anorak stage with football. My own football bets have, up to this point, been a source of recreational fun for me, rather than a source of investment, as is the case with the horses. There is only so much time you can devote to betting as part of a healthy relationship, and I reckon my fiancee would argue that I have been pushing those boundaries for quite some time anyway!

That said, the summer is here, and, besides watching Coronation Street, there is little else worth watching on an evening so a daily diet of football will make a nice change. I am going to try ditch the mug approach for a few weeks and try my hand at grinding out a slow, steady profit.

With racing I have a 50 pt bank now and stake on a scale of 0.25 - 3 pts per bet, but I have much more confidence in my opinions with horses and my football bets will be a fraction of the racing ones in reality (although to avoid blogging bets to stupidly small fractions I'll just keep on a 1-3 pt scale on here). I hope to adapt quickly since a bigger strike rate will be needed at the sort of odds I'm looking to play at.

I'll be posting up some ante-post bets for the tournament in the next week, starting from tomorrow since the Racing Post pullout is published on Wednesday and there may be some price movement thereon in which I want to avoid. On a day to day basis, I'll probably play in the handicap markets.

Thanks for reading and don't hesitate to drop me any constructive criticism via e-mail. First bets to follow later in the morning.

Wayne